Class Instructor: Alicia Estes, Director »
Class Grade Level(s) Offered: 11th-12th Grade
Credit Hours: 3
Class Day(s): Monday and Wednesday
Class Period(s): Third Period 10:30-11:30am
Questions? Contact Instructor
Additional Cost: There is a $5.00 copy fee for literature materials.
Minimum Number of Students: 6
Maximum Number of Students: 22
ENG-120 Research Writing
Students with an overall high school GPA of 3.25 are eligible for this course. For those students who fall between 3.0-3.25 overall high school GPA, the BTHE instructor will verify high school English grades and make a decision based on the English courses completed and grades.
Completion of ENG-12o with a “C” grade or better will fulfill the writing competency requirement. Credits cannot be applied to an English or Writing major or minor.
By course completion, students should be able to:
- Examine and employ many rhetorical strategies and organizational principles of narrative, expository, and persuasive writing.
- Employ techniques of paragraph development, transitional elements, and stylistic devices.
- Demonstrate competence in each stage of the composing process: planning, writing, and rewriting.
- Evaluate own work and identify areas of improvement.
- Evaluate and synthesize data, sources, and ideas to develop an argument or idea through research.
- Write competently in standard written/edited English
Bullock, Richard, et al. The Norton Field Guide to Writing with Readings. 5th Ed. W.W. Norton & Company, 2019.
Bullock, Richard, et al. The Little Seagull Handbook. W.W. Norton & Company, 2017.
ISBN: 978-0-393-60264-7Register Now »