6th-8th grade English –
This course will focus on developing communication and thinking skills through the study of grammar, literature, and writing. The grammar study emphasizes the eight parts of speech, sentence patterns, and punctuation. The study of the writing process includes development of sentence skills and working with single paragraph and multi-paragraph writings. The study of literature includes a basic understanding of literary terms and themes.
- English 6 student worktext, 2nd ed., BJU Press ISBN – 978-1-60682-230-2
- English 6 tests, 2nd ed., BJU Press ISBN – 978-1-59166-397-3
- The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare, CBD Stock No: WW137195
9th-11th grade English –
This course will focus heavily on the mastering of grammar skills including the 8 parts of speech and sentence structure. The writing section continues to focus on process writing through essays and research writing. In literature we will be emphasizing literary terms, themes, and analysis through novel studies and short stories while also studying some Shakespearean works. Your student will learn the process of literary analysis and discuss six literary elements: conflict, character, theme, point of view, structure, and tone. This course will teach them to analyze and evaluate authors.
- Writing and Grammar 9 Student Text 3rd. ed., BJU Press, ISBN – 978-1-60682-239-5
- Fundamentals of Literature 2nd. ed., BJU Press, ISBN – 978-1-59166-889-3
- The Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Orczy, Christian Book Distributors Stock No: WW421228
11th-12th grade World Literature –
This course will be an overview of various world literature from British to Russian and French. Pieces will include The Screwtape Letters, works of Shakespeare, novel studies and the Bible as literature. We will also be tackling the college-level research paper, formal essays, and literary criticism. This course will help prepare students to read, comprehend, analyze, and write about more complex texts and subject matter.
- How to Read the Bible as Literature, Leland Ryken, Christian Book Distributors Stock No: WW0390214
- The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
- Grammar – TBD
Public Speaking – 10th-12th grades
Includes discussions of the communication process, audience analysis, and public speaking guidelines. A one-semester course which involves topic choice, research, organization, and effective communication. Speaking projects include introductions, interviews, demonstration speeches, declamations, informative speeches, devotional speeches, and persuasive speeches.
Textbook: Sound Speech, 2nd ed. BJU Press ISBN – 978-1-60682-236-4